Saturday, December 11, 2004

Re: Preaching God, With Profanity

My colleague Nominal Me posted an article about Spirituality in Hip-Hop.

He should have consulted me on this topic before he singled out Kanye West. I would have informed him that spirituality has always been apart of hip hop going back as far artists like DMX, PM Dawn, Me Phi Me, KRS-One, Nas, Tupac, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (remember the Crossroads).

Hip hop has always had a spiritual element to it check out these lyrics. And judge for yourself.



DMX - The Prayer IV

"Father God I am just learning how to pray, so bear with me First I thank you for the life of everyone that's here with me. Then I thank you for the love you give me, why? I don't know; I don't deserve it, and it hurts inside Many a nights I cried, and called your name out loud But didn't call you when I was doin good, I was too proud. And STILL you gave me love, I wasn't used to that, most of the people that gave me love, they ended up takin it back. That's somethin new to me, so I'm askin you for time to adjust. Let me make it there, I will be one you can trust What I stand for, I put my life on, I DO!
I guess what I'm askin is - show me how to stand for you.




Nas - Heaven

If Heaven was a mile away, And you could ride by the gates. Would you try to run inside when it opens would you try to die today? Would you pray louder finally believing His power? Even if you couldn't see, but you could feel would you still doubt him? How would you start acting?



Tupac - Only God can judge me

Oh my lord. Tell me what I'm livin' for
Everybodies droppin' Got me knockin' on heaven's door
And all my memories Of seeing brothas bleed
And everybody grieves. But still nobody sees. Recollect your thoughts. Don't get caught up in tha mix. Cause the media is full of dirty tricks. Only God can Judge me....


Those are just several examples.

No comments: