Thursday, February 03, 2005

Fringe Thursday 2-3-05



If there is any man who is on the fringe it's Saul Williams. His groundbreaking work as a writer and actor in the critically accliamed film, Slam (Sundance's Grand Jury Prize '98) placed him as a figurehead of the spoken word/poetry slam movement. Since staring in Slam he's made several film appearances in addition to being an author of three collections of poetry: The Seventh Octave: The early writings of Saul Williams (1997), She (1999), ,said the shotgun to the head (2003) .

He's also a alternative hip hop recording artist: Amethyst Rock Star (2001) and Saul Williams (2004).

Born in Newburgh, N.Y. (1972) this son of a preacher and and school teacher mother graduated from Morehouse College with a B.A. in philosophy, then moved to New York City to take a Master's Degree at New York University in Acting.

I've had the chance to see him live and he's an incredible performer if he ever comes to your town I suggest you see him. CNN recently caught up to him and this is what he had to say about the state of hip hop.

CNN: What's wrong with hip-hop?

SAUL WILLIAMS: The only reason I've been so critical of hip-hop is because I've always been aware of the effect that it has, and the reflection that it gives of the African-American community. I remember back in the day when Chuck D called hip-hop the "black people's CNN." Well now, hip-hop is more like Fox News. It's biased, and highly suspect. Hip-hop is still cool at a party. But to me, hip-hop has never been strictly a party; it is also there to elevate consciousness. What's wrong with hip-hop is the system that controls the definition of it. There needs to be more balance on the airwaves. I mean look at Eminem, getting airplay on rock radio. Does he get airplay on rock radio because he's a rock musician? No, it's because rock radio pictures itself as white radio. We just need to broaden our definitions of ourselves and then about the music. Hip-hop is too young to put a definition on it.

3 comments:

Nominal Me said...

Is he saying hip hop should be more white to get more radio play?

Unknown said...

"What's wrong with hip-hop is the system that controls the definition of it."

I think that's pretty point blank. Hip hop used to be something that was defined by the people who listened to it and performed it. That is not the case today.

I think rappers are giving the people what they want (bling bling, party music). They are pandering to the base consumer (young white kids). Feeding on their fears and stereotypes all in the name of $$$$.

Loveena Raj said...

Intro : Came here via Nominal Me's Blog

Intriguing - Hip hop, rock, soul ... whatever the music, I find it no longer is 'Nice'. Listen to anything nowadays you get 'expletives'. Call me old fashioned - But me uses expletives when I'm really very angry - not always - But isn't there supposed to be a limit? Ok if there is a limit who defines the limit?

Talking of definitions - WHY the Heck do we need definitions when all that we will do is either broaden the definition or argue about it and change it to fit some 'black' or 'white' self proclaimed 'pioneer' or 'reformer'...

Seems like every body is just looking for another argument, something to ... split hairs or fight about. Personally I dont like Eminem - When I first heard his music - Nice - then when I saw the Vedeos and his take on MJ - I think he is just as bad as MJ.

Agreed MJ is wrong is what not ... but to ... continue flinging 'sh**' - distasteful.

I suppose whoever governs Music and the Airing of Music has nothing to do with the artists - Good artists will find a way to continue their good work whoever it may be who governs the air !!!

Forgive me if I've hurt anyone's sentiments.