Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The top five secrets black people keep from white people.

DISCLAIMER

The following rant is my opinion and there will be generalizations so please in your replies keep that in mind.

#5 - We really do like John Mayer and a whole bunch of people you would think we never really listen to.

Seriously we really do like him. There's just something about his music that we can't deny. We won't admit it to you but we really do like him. In addition to John Mayer we also like. Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mack, Eric Clapton, Sting (OH WE LOVE US SOME STING), U2 and Joni Mitchell to name a few.

#4 - We really like freaking white folks out.

We like freaking you out in different ways. I know you always hear the stories about how the little old lady on the elevator grabbed her purse in response to a black man getting in behind her. Hell, it's happened to me. But deep down we kinda like the fact that some of you feel we are going to do something to you. Another way black people freak white folks out is by knowing more about their sh*t than they do be it music or politics or anything. A classic example is the black person with an English accent or any accent for that matter. White people always are shocked when they find out that a black person can speak a whole other language besides English. Basically we like it when you under estimate us.

#3 - We are just as conservative as you are (sometimes even more so).

The black church may let a gay man be choir director but he can't get married in the black church. The black church was one of the many supporters of George W. Bush in this past election. In fact this is where the GOP sees it's future. I know it sounds crazy but as I said before this is the stuff that black people would not admit to white America.

#2 - We date outside our race because we are afraid of commitment.

Very few black men (or women) set out to marry a person of another race. I know that back in the day we used to aspire to that kind of thing, but those days have changed, don't twisted. Now please keep in mind this is a generalization and this does not go for everyone. For those of you who are in a interracial relationship reading this, just breathe and relax. This doesn't mean that there is something wrong with you just means he (or she) is having fun. It's not that he (or she) doesn't love you. It's just that you may not be his (or her) first choice.

#1 - We really want to be accepted by white folks. We really care what you think.

Yeah this is a big one. I know in spite of all the bitching and whining that we do about equality and civil rights it really just comes down to being accepted by you. We care what white people think deep down. And this manifests itself in strange ways throughout our culture. Why do you think gangsta rappers move to the suburbs? Of course there are factors like low crime rate but the truth of the matter is they want their kids to grow up near you.

8 comments:

Nominal Me said...

Thanks Dr. Strangejazz, this helps a lot!

Ms. Blaize said...

I was nodding on #5 and mad at you for calling us out on # 4 *LOL!!!*….. but I don’t know about # 1. I mean, I don’t think we care so much about what they think as we do about how what they think effects our lives. For instance, if they had no baring on our lives - like lets say we split the US down the middle but both sides had the same quality of life, then none of us would care what they think. So to me (just my opinion) we care about how their thoughts effect our lives and that they treat us with the respect we deserve….and a lot of us deserve that. BTW this is a nice post… I just hope #4 doesn’t get out to too many people cuz we gotta have our fun!
~Ms. Blaize

Unknown said...

Thanks Ms. Blaize. What did you think of #3 and #2?

Anonymous said...

I'm White AHHHHHH

Unknown said...

Did you learn anything??

Loveena Raj said...

"Miss I'm Black. That's why you yell at me." and after this remark, pointing at a white Russian (who happens to be a friend) "He's white - so you dont tell anything to him." The white looks at me looks at the black and says, "I'm white so she doesn't like me!" I look at all of 'em and ... give them one of my 'raised eyebrows' I still smile - I know they dont wanna go out But I say what I have to , "Business In Physics Out." And as the blacks walk out they come over to give me their 'shake hand - Its like we make fists and bump the fists from top then bottom ... a pervert would say - in the fashion of a 'hand job' !What the heck ! Then we hit our fists like toasting a drink and then hit it against the chest !!! Its cool ... they are my boys - black white and yellow and for them their teacher joining in their 'gang' was and is ... a way of acceptance. For me too - its 'acceptance'. Its like I'm accepted - only then did I start 'teaching' ... earned their trust first. Acceptance to me comes with trust ... whether black or white !

Anonymous said...

Man, I love Steely Dan!!!! I was surprised as hell when I saw that name on the list...."Green Earrings..." I love all of that shit

Unknown said...

I am honored to have the infamous Jackie Chiles of AofG visit my site. You are welcome here anytime.