Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Thoughts on Morocco : Preview

This is Doc Strangejazz coming at ya live from the Roc (Marrakesh , Morocco to be exact). I've managed to get so free time today so I'm able to post a little preview of my trip to Morocco.

It's really hot here. So far I've been asked if I was a NBA player about 4 times and my lady friend has been asked if she's an actress or a jazz singer 8 times. Use of the internet at the hotel is cheap so I'm able to go online and check email.

It really helps a lot if you know French here being that this country was a former French colony. The city of Marrakesh is broken up into two cities. The Medina and the New City. The Medina is more traditional and the New City is more modern.

I will write more when I come back to the states but for now I will leave you with a few of my first impressions:

-Riad's aren't for everybody.
-Snake charmers are for real.
-Don't knock their hustle. Everybody has a hustle here.
-You got to know how to bargin. The final price is not always final.
-You need a guide if you don't know French. Omar is his name and he knows the city inside and out.
-The food here is beautiful. Please try the lamb. You won't regret it.
-Hip-hop is a live and well here.

That's all for now but please stay tuned for Nominal Me and his Fringe Thursday post.

No comments: