Friday, May 13, 2005

Thoughts on Star Wars (feeding the hype machine)

Last night Nominal Me and myself were out on the town. We managed to get on the topic of Star Wars and at one point in the conversation he turned to me and said, "May 19 our childhoods are over." I looked at him and said "Yeah I know."


I had been thinking the same exact thing for a number of months the feeling became more real to me after I bought my ticket. Now granted I'm in my early 30's but I still go to comic book stores, I still like sci-fi and I still play video games. But this movie changes everything for us sci-fi geeks. There will be nothing left for us because we've seen it all (Spider Man, X-Men, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy etc.) But this is different from all the others, finally it's happening, all the pieces are going to fit together and we will finally know how Darth Vader came to be.

As a kid I wished for a channel devoted strictly to cartoons. Now we have two. I used to wish for a channel devoted strictly to sci-fi. Now we have it. As a kid I wished they had went back and told the story of Star Wars from the beginning. Now they have. What's left?

I bought my ticket for the midnight show (5-18-05) on 4-21-05 a few days shy of a month before the opening. I picked Union Square because it's one of my favorites and it's right across the street from the Forbidden Planet (a great comic book store). It's the perfect location. I plan on getting home from work eat dinner and then take a nap so that I won't be too tired once the movie starts. I will probably get there by 10PM so to avoid the line.

I need a front row seat to the end of my childhood.

1 comment:

The Marigold Trail said...

Very well written. So let's hear your review!