Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Ghetto Saints

First off I just like to say that I've been really busy. Still adjusting to the new apartment post renovations and still adjusting to the new job. Also therapy has really made me less bitter (That usually lasts until I see the bill). But I'll get into that at another time (or maybe not.)

The title of this post is Ghetto Saints. Now what is a "Ghetto Saint"? Glad you asked. Basically a Ghetto Saint is an icon who is celebrated within the ghetto and who's image is often worn on tee shirts. Some ghetto saints are alive (50 Cent) but the most popular ones are either dead (Tupac) or made up characters who are dead (Scarface).

I normally don't pay attention to fashion, I like what I like, and I try not to judge others for their fashion choices (it's something me and the shrink are working on.), but I've just about had it up to here with all this Tupac and Scarface paraphernalia. Seriously. I know I'm preaching to the choir on this one because people who wear Ghetto Saint paraphernalia don't come to my site but, I just had to get this off my chest.

Ok I've seen Scarface (maybe a dozen times) I GET IT, his story is a classic tale of a man who wants his part of the American dream, and he's prepared to kill for it. OK I GOT IT. But why do we insist on glorifying a character who epitomize almost everything wrong with our community? This is a character that wasn't even made up by us. Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay to Scarface and I got news for ya IT'S A REMAKE of a movie that was made in 1932.

The Tupac thing I understand (even though Tupac wasn't really a thug until he got into music, but that's another story.), but this Scarface thing doesn't make sense to me. It's as if some white guy (who never lived in the hood) made up a story about the hardest gangster that ever lived and we all bought into it and said YEAH that's how it is. Wait that's exactly what happened. Why do we feed into sjit that somebody else made up? Why do we glorify sjit that we don't even own. And when I say "own" I mean we had no part in the writing, directing or producing that movie so why do we choose to identify with some exploitation sh*t that was made up.

Now please don't get me wrong I have no problem with an Italian-American playing a Cuban refugee or a white guy writing a screenplay about a Cuban refugee who goes on to become a druglord. My beef is not with the creators of the movie my beef is with the people who buy into that image and think that is something to aspire to. It's cause of sh*t like this that we can't get our act together and why hip-hop culture is looked down upon as something that lacks morality.

Someone help me out here. Comments are welcome.

11 comments:

Sonnyredd said...

Taken on its face, rhw Tony Montana character is really the essence of all that a "street guy" can ever hope to be. Uneducated but tough, and honest to the point of stupidity, Tony lived by the very same code that most of our younger "scarfaces" tell people that they live by today.

They got girl problems-he had girl problems. They flick off- he flicked off. They succumb to drugs when undre intense stress - he put a mountain of cocaine up his nose during a home invasion. For them, very relateable. Mario Van Peebles wasn't exaggerating when he showed Nino Brown watching SF on repeat.

But if you think glorification of SF is the root -- or even a remote example of-- our problems, you hava missed the mark.

Unknown said...

Sonnyredd, I don't think glorification of Scarface is the root of our problems.

I just have a problem with the glorification of thuggery.

Anonymous said...

People glorify the exciting. Somewhere along the line, this shyt became the hotness and this lifestyle one to glorify. I don't really have the answers...Oh and Stop Snitchin'!! I just felt the need to add that. Not because I believe it, but because it's some newer dumb shyt being glorified.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. But of course, inquiring minds want to know: How did the apartment turn out?? (Hint: photos or drawings of the interior would be welcome.)

Unknown said...

The apartment is great. I just put up curtains in the guest room and we have AC for the summer.

As for me posting pics. Not likely. I don't want my business out in the street.

Just know that the bulk of the work done on the apartment is finished.

Nominal Me said...

What exactly did Tupac do other than sell records, spit at people, and get killed? Why is he a saint?

LeesMyth said...

Nominal -- I'm not so sure Jazz actually agrees Tupac is a saint ("I've just about had it up to here with all this Tupac and Scarface paraphernalia"), although probably he'll answer your comment directly and obviously with more authority on the subject than I can muster.

But your description would seem to be pretty much dead-on in terms of the definition of "Ghetto Saint".

Or maybe I would hazard a definition along these lines: a thug born and raised in the streets, who lives - and succeeds - according to the higher Thug Code (devoting his life to the Thug Trinity of money, fame, and sex) and is shot down before his star fades.

Jazz -- curtains and everything?? Way cool. No wonder your bitterness is receding! And perhaps the Professor is less angry, as well?

Unknown said...

Thanks NominalMe, you asked the expected question. I don't think you are going to understand the answer but here goes.

Tupac is a "ghetto saint" because he embodied the angst of urban youth. (Kinda like the way Kurt Cobain embodied the angst of suburban youth with his.)

Tupac lyrics were inspiring. He was able to capture the duality of urban youth through his lyrics.

Unknown said...

Thanks Lee,

Just one minor correction on the "Thug Trinity".

It isn't money, fame, and sex. It's fame, money, and power.

The Humanity Critic said...

Great post. I think that people who glamorize Scarface by wesaring t-shirts with his likeness on it are just a bunch of folks who really didn't get the point of the movie. "Scarface" should have been a cautionary tale, but people look at it the same was kids look at "Snow White" or "Pinochio". It's sad really..

Unknown said...

Like HC said, its really sad and makes you wonder about the future of this generation.