Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Feels good to be wrong

It really feels good to be wrong. I really thought the Patriots would go 19-0. I am glad I was wrong about that. Sorry Randy maybe next year.

Last night while I was walking through the rain listening to Eminem on my iPod I pasted a newsstand and an overwhelming feeling built up in me. I briefly glanced at the most recent cover of Ebony magazine. The cover story this month is titled "In Our Lifetime", I'm assuming that it's about Barack Obama and the possibility of him being the first black president of the United States. I was in too much of a hurry to actually pick it up, after getting settled on the train, I started thinking about what that really meant. I thought about 1984. I thought about my mother being excited for Jesse and how passionate she was about him making a run for the presidency. I thought about how we all knew deep down he couldn't really win but how exciting it was to see him run. I thought about the many things that I could not have possibly imagined back in 1984. Which leads me to Senator Obama and the results of Super Tuesday. He did way better than I thought.

He took more states than Hillary, and walked away with a decent share of delegates. Professor Angry-Strangejazz (she's hyphenated it since we've gotten married) and I went out to meet up with some friends to watch the results in Harlem. The crowd at the restaurant was full of Obama supporters and it was more diverse crowd than I expected. Black, White, Asian, and Latino were all there enjoying the vibe. Was I transported to Bamelot? Is this what it's going to be like if he wins? All of us on the same page? Nah. I'm too much of a cynic to buy into that fantasy. That being said it's been a long time since I've been this excited about a candidate and my pessimistic side is wearing thin.

I've always thought that I would never live to see a black man become president of the United States of America. If Obama wins it will feel really good to be wrong.

2 comments:

Nominal Me said...

That's interesting, because Obama lost Harlem's congressional district. I wonder where the Hillary bar was.

Anonymous said...

a shvarta as president the country is not ready for it.