Wednesday, November 03, 2004

My view on 2004 Election

In this entry I will not be posting any links to any articles to back up my POV. The following is just a general opinion (read venting).

I woke up today to find that GW Bush has won the popular vote. 51% to Kerry's 49%. The votes in OHIO need to be counted but it doesn't look good for Kerry. Most of my friends think he should hang it up and call it a day. I was actually surprised to find them distressed at the fact that Bush won the popular vote.

One of them was quoted saying:

"I am apparently so far off the mark from the average American. Republicans control more House, Senate seats, Presidency remains (I hope we are ready for fundamentalism. I am actually afraid.)However, what I will say with confidence is, this too, shall pass. It just may take a long time to do so."

He still remains a little hopeful. Another friend was a little more distressed:

"I am just realizing that I am living in a very conservative
country where the majority of people want the government to tell them how to think on moral issues, where they accept racism, and like the separation of the economic classes. They also like some god with their government. This is scary, but I feel so trapped."

I don't feel trapped or distressed. I feel sad and angry. This election was a reminder that I am in the minority. It was a reminder that Americans want a war mongering conservative president. I have to make peace with that because if I don't I will not be able to survive.

I have to remind myself that I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world (NYC) in one of the most cultural rich neighborhoods (Harlem). I am gainfully employed (for now) and I am not of draft age. I am isolated from the ignorance of other states. There is no need to panic. I have to keep telling myself this. I can only hope that things will not get worse.

This election served as a wake up call to many of my friends. But it only underlined what I knew already. This country is scared and afraid of change. This country is as great as it is blind.

No comments: