Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Farewell Mr. Cochran




My best memory of Johnny Cochran will always be the OJ trial. Like many African-Americans I was glued to the TV set to see if OJ would go to jail. I was stunned by Johnny Cochran's arrogance, and charisma. I can remember actually being proud at one point. I know what my white readers are saying, "How can you be proud of a man who got a murderer off?" My answer is simple. I just was. Before the OJ trial Johnny Cochran had a host of celebrities as clients: Michael Jackson and Snoop Dogg to name a few.

What people don't know is that he also was counsel for, Reginald Denny, the white truck driver, that was beaten in 1992 in the LA riots.

Cochran also represented Abner Louima, who was sexually assaulted by New York City police. Two officers were found guilty of the assault and four others were convicted of lying to authorities about the incident. Louima won $8.75 million in a civil suit.

A lot gets lost in the shuffle when a celebrity dies. People always bring up the question of his legacy and and ask "What did he contribute?" Well for some he was a slick lawyer that got murderers and child molesters off. For me (and I don't think I'm alone in this) he was a great leagal mind, who was able to find justice for a few in a system in where it is few and far between. Some people will think of him as a hired gun, but I will remember him as a man who worked for nothing to help the poor. Say what you want about him but at the end of the day you have to repect the man for knowing the law.

Good bye sir, there will not be any like you for a long time.

No comments: