Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Just shut up and catch the ball boy.

I just finished reading an article about Javon Walker written by Jeffri Chadiha. And it got me thinking, about what white America expects from its black athletes.

Millionaires can't bitch. If you are making six-figures you can't ask for more money. Where do they get off? Why can't they just shut up and play?

If I was a white guy with a beer gut making minimum wage at the local Sip and Dip I would feel the same way. But I'm not that guy. At the end of the day pro-sports is a business. It is what it is, not everybody plays for glory people. And please believe me when I say there are a lot of white guys out there that are making more money off of these black millionaires than I can shake a stick at.

Now just hear me out. This post isn't about whether they should be asking for money is right or wrong. In no way am I trying to defend the actions of what TO and Javon Walker are doing. This post is about how it is more beneficial for a black athlete to keep his mouth shut and get paid rather than open his mouth and get bad press.


Through the ages white America has enjoyed watching black men run, jump, and catch. But the minute we have something to say the black athlete gets bad press and is called out for being uppity. Wuz up wit dat? I'm good enough to be your entertainment but I can't open my mouth to say that it was a bad throw?

Javon Walker is an example of what white America wants. Please don't think I'm calling him an uncle tom for that. I am merely saying that he is doing what is expected of a black athlete (keeping his mouth shut). He took his lumps from his QB (Brett Farve) and he's moving on in silence. Will he get his money? Maybe. We do know one thing though. He won't get any bad press because he's keeping his mouth shut. Now TO is what white America hates. He's a mercenary. Jumping from one team to the next in search of a bigger check and glory. White America hates a brotha like this cause he's playing the system for all it's worth.

I ain't mad at either of them. The shelf life of a NFL player is short so you might as well get all the $$$ you can while you are physically able. Seriously what are these guys going to do when they retire? Sell cars? Go on TV as commentators? I hope they save their money and do something smart with it.

2 comments:

Nominal Me said...

The world would be fine without athletes. We don't need them. They are entertainers. So yeah, we don't wants guys like T.O. around. If T.O. cures cancer, then I suppose he has the right to act like a jerk for the rest of his life. But he hasn't. He just catches footballs.

White athletes, like Jeremy Shockey, who act like idiots get bad press as well. Black athletes who don't act like pricks, like Barry Sanders and Marvin Harrison, are well respected and get plenty of good press.

Screw T.O.

Unknown said...

For once we agree. I don't think we need sports and atheltes as much as we used to.

As you said this is entertainment and it is what it is, a BUSINESS. And we all know that the bosses are the ones pulling the strings on guys like TO.

So screw the bosses.