Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Hip Hop Wednesday 5-18-05

First some minor notes:

  • Out with the old and in with the new. Eminem has a DJ. Recently DJ Green Latern, voluntarily left Shady Records after a conversation with 50 Cent's adversary Jadakiss was unknowingly taped in a conversation about the pair' beef was released on a DVD.
  • Remember last year 50 Cent jumped into a crowd at a concert because someone threw a water bottle at him? Well he ain't going to jail for that sh-t.
  • Mixtape Awards founder Justo Faison died in a car accident Saturday. For those real hip hop heads out there this is a huge loss.

And now the main story:

Russell Simmons (founder of Def Jam records) recently responded to Abraham Foxman's comments on Millions More Movement by saying: "Simply put, you are misguided, arrogant, and very disrespectful of African Americans and most importantly your statements will unintentionally lead to a negative impression of Jews in the minds of millions of African Americans."

Well done Russell. What business is this march of theirs? Why is it that whenever black leaders come out to support something positive Farrakhan does Jewish leaders have to come out and remind the black community that Farrakhan has made anti-Semitic comments in the past?

Maybe the answer is simple if we go back in history. Jews and Blacks worked very hard together during the civil rights era. Jews through the years have donated a lot of money and time toward black causes, all of this is well documented. Maybe some Jewish leaders feel slighted whenever a black leader lays down with Farrakhan. I can understand that. But somewhere deep down I feel that guys like Foxman sub-consciously feel that black people owe something to the Jewish community for stepping up during that time. Before I go to far with this post I want to make something perfectly clear.

I was raised as a Jew. And I am black. Believe it or not. Ok now that we've got that out the way I can get back to our regular scheduled rant.

I don't think the black community owes any kind of explanation to any Jewish leader for what is going on with the Millions More Movement. Jewish leaders never have to explain themselves to black people. Why should we be accountable to them? Just cause you marched and gave us some money doesn't mean that you have a right to scold us for teaming up with Farrakhan. Farrakhan has made anti-Semitic remarks in the past no doubt but SO WHAT. Anyone remember Meir Kahane?

The bottomline is that the ADL should just but out. They should use this opportunity to reach out to this man and try to bring some kind of peace between Jews and Blacks. But instead he has to play the role of a critic. It's a damn shame in my opinion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only do other groups think Black have to explain every move we make to them, but there are those of US who think this too. I say fuggem. We need to do what we need to do for us. We don't need to go to every groups and ask permission. This isn't a fourth grade field trip!!

Nominal Me said...

Funny that you put it "I was raised as a Jew" rather than "I am a Jew". When it comes right down to it, is it true to say that in any dispute between blacks and Jews you will side with the former?

Unknown said...

When black people f*ck up I'm the first one to say something. And you know this.

As far as me taking sides goes. Let me just say this.

There is no side to take, there's right and wrong. So I try to side with what I see is right. If the shoe was on the other foot and it was black leaders doing the same thing that Foxman is doing I would say that the black leaders are WRONG. That's the problem with today's society. We all think there is a side to take. And that's BS.

What you should have asked me is will I speak up when black people f*ck up. And the answer is YES. I think I'm just as critical on black folks (WHO as you know have not been to kind to me in the past) as I have been on Jewish folks (who in turn have not been so kind to me).

I was careful in the words I spoke. Saying I am a Jew would beg a lot of questions I don't like answering, questions like WHERE IS YOUR MOM FROM? ARE YOU MIXED? And that was bullshit I just didn't want to deal with on my on freaking blog ok.

By the way if you wanted to press a button on me just consider it pressed. Good job.

Kazumi said...

Doc,

I sent the invite to guest blog to the address listed in your ptofile. Did you get it??

K