Friday, February 03, 2006

Oscars Part I: The nominees.

It's that time of year again folks. And the nominees are..

BEST PICTURE
Brokeback Mountain - You can't make me like it. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Capote - Very cool movie. I liked the pace of it.
Crash - It's always nice to see a race movie in the running. I just wish it was written by a black person, is that so wrong?
Good Night, and Good Luck - Very heavy handed. I got the point after the first half hour. I find that this movie is relevant to today but I think the pace of it was kinda slow.
Munich - I was blown away by this movie. Spielberg's best work since Saving Private Ryan.

BEST DIRECTOR
George Clooney, "Good Night, and Good Luck": He's a better actor than director.
Paul Haggis, "Crash": He's a better writer than he is a director.
Ang Lee, "Brokeback Mountain": From what I heard he does a good job.
Bennett Miller, "Capote": I really liked the feel of this movie.
Steven Spielberg, "Munich": I don't think he'll win but I think out of everyone nominated he deserves it.

BEST ACTOR
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Capote": He totally captured the voice and spirit of the character.
Terrence Howard, "Hustle & Flow": I really want him to win but I know it ain't gonna happen. And honestly who wants to win an Oscar for playing the role of a rapping pimp?
Heath Ledger, "Brokeback Mountain": I guess he was the top.
Joaquin Phoenix, "Walk The Line": He totally captured the heart of the character.
David Strathairn, "Good Night, and Good Luck": See what I wrote about Hoffman goes double for Strathairn

BEST ACTRESS
Judi Dench, "Mrs. Henderson Presents": I didn't see this movie nor do I have any intentions to. If I want to see Judi Dench in a movie I'll rent a Bond movie.
Felicity Huffman, "Transamerica": So let me get this straight. She's a woman who's playing a man who wants to be a woman? Aww just give it to her already.
Keira Knightley, "Pride and Prejudice": Hell no. NO!
Charlize Theron, "North Country": Didn't she win already?
Reese Witherspoon, "Walk The Line": NO. I just can't see it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
George Clooney, "Syriana": If he doesn't get the award for best director this could be the conselation prize.
Matt Dillon, "Crash": Is it me or did Don Cheadle get robbed?
Paul Giamatti, "CInderella Man":
Got robbed last year so he'll probably get it this year.
Jake Gyllenhaal, "Brokeback Mountain":
I just don't see it happening for him this time around.
William Hurt, "A History of Violence": Deserves it. But won't get it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams
, "Junebug": She's the underdog in this category. I really liked her performance.
Catherine Keener, "Capote":
She's a safe bet to win but that being said the competition is stiff.
Frances McDormand, "North Country": I
didn't see this movie but I'm sure she turned out a great performance. She's just that good.
Rachel Weisz, "The Constant Gardener":
I hated this movie but I really like Rachel Weisz.
Michelle Williams, "Brokeback Mountain":
She's come a long way from Dawson's Creek.

BEST ANIMATED FILM
"Howl's Moving Castle": Didn't see it.
"The Corpse Bride": Tim Burton could win with this.
"Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit": This movie should have come out 3 years ago and maybe it would have had a chance.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana for "Brokeback Mountain"
:
I'm sure this movie was in development hell for years.
Dan Futterman for "Capote" :
Good stuff.
Jeffrey Caine for "The Constant Gardener": HELL F*CKING NO!
Josh Olson for "The History of Violence": Brilliant. This was the most direct movie I've seen all year.
Tony Kushner and Eric Roth for "Munich":
Awesome and telling. I loved this movie.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Paul Haggis and Robert Moresco for "Crash": I can't believe Haggis used to write for Different Strokes.
Grant Heslov and George Clooney for "Good Night, and Good Luck":
Who knew Clooney could write.
Woody Allen for "Match Point": Don't ya just love how Woody Allen sneaks in with this movie.
Noah Baumbach for "The Squid and the Whale": Nice title.
Stephen Gaghan for "Syriana" : Hard to follow at times but good idea.

4 comments:

sonoftheprodigal said...

i have yet to see other films to competently and fairly put my bets. i enjoy reading your blog.

The Marigold Trail said...

brokeback brokeback brokeback!!

Naw, I havent see it yet. I just did that to bother you, you big homophobe. Too bad we can't got "movie shopping", so I could harrass you more. :)

Anonymous said...

Uh Strangejazz, could you please re-name my link? The reason I switched addresses was so that I can't be Google-able. But with you listing my site with that name still attached, people are STILL finding me.

Thanks!

Nominal Me said...

Phoenix must win best actor. He nailed Johnny Cash.